Handmade Bookmark

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hi everyone! I've been doing my hardest to keep up with my blog posts’ but my shop has been keeping me so busy—which is a great thing, but it also doesn't leave me with much time to really plan out a great blog post. However, my sister has been asking me to make her a few book marks. My older sister Angie is in nursing school and she has tons of books to read on a daily basis. She’s been feeling a little stressed out lately because nursing school is very challenging; so, I decided to use my Lawn Fawn stamp set, Sunny Skies, to create this happy book mark. This set has a very encouraging sentiment (Reach for the sky) which I thought would be perfect for Angie’s bookmark. That way every time she looked at it she would remember what she’s working for; or, I’m hoping it will make her smile when the stress of it all it getting her down. She asked me for four bookmarks and so far I’ve only made this one—I still need to make the other three but I, myself have been pretty busy, too.
You can find the stamp set and dies used to create this book mark by clicking here and here. When creating this bookmark I used a fun partial die cutting technique so that the kite would look like it was kind of popping off of the top of the bookmark—which I think is so cute. I created this subtle cloudy sky background using a pre-cut cloud die from the Sunny Skies dieset (which coordinates with the Sunny Skies stamp set), and used some distress ink and a foam applicator to apply the ink over the cloud die cut. There is a great video here where Kelly Marie from Lawn Fawn shares this fun technique (jump over to minute: 2:42 to view it). After that I simply began all of my stamping, die cutting, and coloring. Once I was finished with that I used a black pen to create the border around the bookmark and that’s it. My sister loved it so much she wants to get it laminated. So I can’t wait to see what they looks like. I hope you enjoyed this blog post and I can’t wait to make another one! 

15 comments:

  1. SO cute! Love it. I am missing my Sizzix machine. I sold it a couple of years ago. Do you like the Cuttlebug?
    We haven't done any paper crafting in a really long time. You always make me want to have a craft day with paper when I visit your blog. Love it. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cuttlebug but I wish I had the big shot. I was a total bigger when I purchased the cuttlebug and I wish I would have done more research because there are certain dies and folders that it isn't compatible with; and, I heard the big shot is compatible with everything! Thanks for your comment, Kim!!!

      Delete
  2. Love this pretty bookmark! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Super cute idea. I read a TON so I am always after new bookmarks. Maybe a weekend crafty project :) - BTW I love my bigshot, totally worth it. Husband bought it for me last xmas and he always says its the best present ever because I use it more than anything else hes ever bought me. Joanns puts it on sale a few times a year for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful!! What a great little gift for your sister! I think I might attempt to make a pretty bookmark since I'm always reading!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be awesome! I'd love to see a picture of it when your finished :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love your projects!!! Not only because you are using Lawn Fawn stamps and dies (-:

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bookmark is so pretty!! Love that the kite goes out of the bookmark shape!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |